Monday, April 16, 2007

Carl's Visit and the Tulip Festival

Carl getting excited about MORE tulips!

Beşiktaş fruit and veggie market. These two boys saw us and asked us to take their picture, they were really sweet! I need to go print it out and take it back to them so they can have a copy of it...

Carl with my other favorite tulips - the purple ones with white edges, near Aya Sofya

Me and my new favorite type of tulip, the fun pokey one

The Blue Mosque and the park in front of it all tuliped out for the festival

Carl, another counselor at CBI, came through Istanbul for a few days visiting before he heads farther East so we hung out and enjoyed Istanbul during the height of its annual week-long Tulip Festival. The city planted more than 8.5 million tulips around (mostly in the tourist areas however...) and they look gorgeous - and they all magically bloomed at the same perfect time at the beginning of the festival. I don't know how they do it. I thought I didn't like tulips, but after wandering around a lot with Carl I really like them now!

Tulips are actually from Central Asia, unlike what a lot of Dutch people want you to think, and were purportedly introduced to Europe by Sultan Suleyman (read: Ottoman TURK!). So... basically the modern tulip is from Turkey. Therefore, tulips are awesome and the city needs a week long festival for them.

Having Carl here was fun too. We went to church on Easter together and I showed him around - mostly all my favorite places to eat in the city.

No comments: